We know you’re busy, so we’ll keep this short and sweet. Rats are a big problem in the city, but they can be easily avoided with just a few simple steps.
You might think that rats only live in rural areas or sewers, but the truth is that they can adapt to any environment as long as there’s food and shelter available. They don’t discriminate against where they live! That means it could be your home next if you aren’t careful.
So how do you avoid having these furry little monsters invade your space? It all starts with prevention.
We’re highlighting seven simple ways to ensure your home is not the next BnB for the local rat population.
How to Keep Rats Out of Your Home
Rats and other rodents are very intelligent creatures, and they’re not too picky about what kind of living environment suits them best. They can adapt to urban settings, factories, and commercial properties as easily as rural areas! This means you need to be vigilant in order to keep them out of your home.
- Make sure to seal up any holes or openings around your house (no matter how small). This includes cracks in your walls, floors, or ceilings that may provide access to your home.
- Get rid of anything that smells like food (garbage cans, pet food bowls). Keep your home clean and free of food scraps; rats will eat just about anything!
- Keep garbage cans tightly closed and place them away from the house.
- Where possible, don’t leave pet food out overnight. Rather store it in a tightly sealed container in a garage or shed.
- Keep shrubbery and other plants near the house trimmed back. This will make it more difficult for rats to get into your home without being detected.
- Keep rodents out of your yard by keeping grass closely cut, removing debris like fallen leaves where they might find shelter.
- If you see any evidence of rats in your home or yard, contact a pest control company right away. They’ll be able to provide you with the necessary services to keep rats out of your home for good.
Good Reasons to Stay Rat-Free
Rats are a surprisingly common household pest, and if left unchecked can infest your home in no time. (A female rat can give birth and be ready to conceive again in just two days, easily popping out 40 or more babies in a year!)
Although they’re not as easy to spot as other pests like ants or roaches, rats can still be found in kitchens, basements and garages. Rats spread illnesses such as Hantavirus and Salmonella through their droppings and urine (they contaminate everything they touch), which is why it’s important to keep them out of your home at all costs!
In case you needed more reasons to get a pest control company in, consider the following:
- Rats can cause a lot of damage to your property. They’ll chew through wires, insulation, wood and other materials in order to build their nests. This can lead to fires and costly repairs.
- Rats can contaminate your food supplies with their droppings and urine. Not only is this dangerous for your health, but it can also lead to extensive spoilage.
- Rats are dirty animals and can spread germs and diseases all over your home. They can contaminate dishes, utensils, food surfaces – basically anything they come in contact with. This can cause serious illnesses for you and your family.
- Rats are extremely agile and can easily get into places that other pests like ants and roaches can’t. They may even chew through the walls of your home to get inside!
- Rats aren’t picky eaters, which means they could bring in additional vermin such as mice or cockroaches if not dealt with quickly.
Avoid This Gnawing Problem
If you’re diligent in following these tips, you can keep those pesky rats from taking over your home. But, if they have already made an appearance in your space and you’re not keen on a DIY pest control job, then you know what to do!
Our team will walk through every inch of your property and highlight the areas that need attention to ensure that everything is rodent-proofed from top to bottom. If we find signs of rodents on our visit then we’ll deal with them right away so you won’t have to worry about them coming back later.
“Using advanced solutions such as thermal imaging, motion sensors, and drain surveys, we’re able to assess the full extent of a pest problem – wherever and whenever it occurs.” Warren Taylor – Combat Pest Solutions
Do you need help keeping rats out of your home? Call our team today.
We pride ourselves on our humane pest control methods and are acutely aware of the effect of rodenticides on wild birds and the environment.