Not all creatures and plants are pests but knowing which ones are destructive is key to preventing an infestation in your small business. Whether you’re running a coffee shop, bakery or beauty salon, the health and safety of your customers rests in your hands. Keeping the environment clean and hygienic includes keeping those pesky pests out!
There are various methods used to control pest infestations and knowing which one to use depends on the type of problem you’re dealing with. While there are DIY preventative methods for minimising the risk of pests on your property, hiring the experts often solves the problem efficiently, quickly and safely.
What You Need to Know About Pest Control
Pests can create havoc if left uncontrolled and even result in your business being closed down by the health authorities if there’s an infestation. Specific safety standards apply if you’re running a business selling food and the general requirement is that you must do everything possible to prevent pest problems. However, when using pesticides care needs to be taken.
Using Pesticides: What Are the Regulations?
There are numerous pesticide products available on the market to control pest infestations. You can even make your own using natural ingredients. However, precaution is necessary to safeguard the general public whether you use pesticides on commercial or residential properties.
Using pesticides comes with its fair share of dangers and for this reason, pest control legislation is put in place to protect public health. Pest control operators are controlled by this legislation to ensure there are no harmful effects to the general public as well as themselves and the environment when using pesticides.
What Are the 3 Methods of Pest Control?
Hiring professional pest control services is highly recommended for businesses if you want to keep your customers safe while getting rid of the problem fast! Pest control experts are equipped to:
- Assess the extent of the problem and recommend customised treatment plans
- End infestations using safe chemicals manufactured by reputable companies
- Recommend pest control methods to prevent the problem from returning
Because you’re required, as a business owner, to prevent pest problems, knowing what methods can be used to halt infestations will keep you on the right side of the law.
1. Mechanical Methods
Mechanical pest control methods entail using barriers and traps. DIY traps using products such as engine and vegetable oils, baking soda and chocolate and glue boards purchased from your local hardware might be handy solutions. But, for businesses, these aren’t the best solutions.
Professional pest control experts use the following mechanical methods proven to be more efficient and safer in solving a range of problems:
- Baiting and soil barriers are designed to prevent termite colonies from invading your business property, causing infrastructural damage or ruining your gardens.
- Screens and electrical wires keep larger pests such as feral animals out of your property.
- Mechanical traps for trapping creatures such as rats and mice. Trapping of smaller pests makes use of chemicals to lure them to the trap.
- Bird proofing by using netting, spikes or wire fencing to prevent an invasion of these creatures on your roof, solar panels or under the eaves of your roofing.
Mechanical methods help to keep pests under control while preventing an infestation at the same time. These methods are often installed once a pest control technician has exterminated the pests to prevent the problem from resurfacing.
2. Hygiene Method
Once a pest infestation has been brought under control, a pest control company will discuss various methods for keeping the problem from returning. One of the methods entails keeping your property clean and hygienic at all times. There are various ways of doing this:
- Rubbish bins: Rubbish is a great attractant for pests so keeping your bins organised, inaccessible for all types of creatures and clean helps to minimise infestations. Keeping rubbish in bins with secure lids reduces the chance of pests invading these containers while keeping your surroundings clean.
- Food storage: Storing food properly helps to minimise pest infestations. Removing crumbs and leftover food on countertops, on the floor and on serving tables prevents pests from coming onto your property when searching for edibles.
- Reducing clutter: Pests are drawn to areas that are cluttered. Regular decluttering will ensure your property is tidy and free from spots that could encourage problem insects to take up residence.
The hygiene method is a preventative strategy used to reduce the chance of pests invading your commercial property as they seek food and a safe spot to live. This method is one of the simplest ways to prevent a recurrence of pest problems while keeping your property clean and hygienic at all times.
3. Biological Method
Biological control methods work well if your commercial property is conducive to this type of solution. Biological control involves using natural solutions without resorting to pesticides or other chemical agents for controlling pests.
Introducing natural predators to your property could work for decreasing pests in your gardens as well as the introduction of microorganisms for protecting certain plant species. While these biological methods are effective, using them as pest control can become an operational and logistical nightmare for small businesses!
Why Hiring a Professional Pest Control Company is the Best Solution
Hiring the services of a commercial pest control team has many benefits worth considering when running a small business that accommodates customers and employees. Let’s talk about these benefits:
- Food contamination prevention: A rodent invasion can result in food contamination which could result in a number of diseases and illnesses for both your customers and employees. A pest control company will know how to eliminate the problem safely and quickly while keeping your foodstuff free of germs carried by pests.
- Poison protection: Pesticides, insecticides and fumigants are highly poisonous and if not applied correctly can end up contaminating not only pests but your customers too! A well-trained pest control technician will know how to use these products safely, protecting you and other occupants on your property from being inadvertently poisoned.
- Tailored treatment plans: Pest control companies will inspect and design tailored treatment plans to solve your specific problem. This guarantees a higher success rate while ensuring the pests don’t return at a later stage.
- Controlling all types of pests: Whether you’re battling termites, ants, birds, bees and wasps, feral cats, cockroaches, spiders or rodents, a professional pest control company can sort the problem out. And, once the infestation is under control the experts will introduce methods for preventing the issue from resurfacing again.
Commercial pest control services are designed to solve the problem safely and quickly while ensuring you still comply with public health regulations.
There are various methods for keeping pests at bay and while some of them can be used safely, others should be handled by the experts for best results. If you’re struggling to keep your commercial property pest-free, give our experienced team at Combat Pest Solutions a call. With our dedicated client service, we’ll give you the best solution for controlling pests on your property while keeping you, your employees and your customers safe at all times!